Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My holey sheets

A year or two ago, my husband and I were working together to make our bed.  We looked closely at our sheets, sheets that used to be green flannel.  We noticed that after 3 or so years of using only that one set of sheets, they were becoming extremely thin and discolored.  We mentioned that maybe we should purchase some new sheets.  When I consider buying something, I tend to think in terms of what that amount of money could accomplish at Save the Children Orphanage.  I could have new flannel sheets or I could help provide almost a month's worth of formula for a baby.  New sheets?  Or provide a month's salary for an extra "mama" to care for the kids?

We're still using those sheets.  Every time my husband and I make the bed we look at our sheets and laugh.  They are full of small holes, the elastic on the bottom sheet is gone, and this week Joel asked me what color they used to be.  Those holey sheets remind me to be thankful for what I have, and thankful for what I don't have.  I love my old sheets and the laughter they bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment