Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What and why?

Recently I read through the book of I Peter in the Bible. It contains so many words of truth and wisdom that require further study, contemplation, and most of all ACTION!

The verse that stood out most to me as I read was I Peter 3:15.
"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect."

The book of I Peter mentions multiple times the importance of, and a command to, show respect for others. I pray that my children will have this respect in their hearts, and outwardly in their behavior. How are they to learn this? By God working in their hearts, by me teaching them, and by the model I show them.

Dear Jesus, please continue to teach me how to respect everyone I interact with. Please soften my heart and keep it soft and pliable to your ways. Please open my eyes to see you and your will; my ears to hear you; my heart to obey you. Show me how to respect authority, my family, and every person I encounter. Thank you Jesus for speaking to me through scripture! Amen.

Back to the middle portion of I Peter 3:15. "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." Reading this reminds me that I need to take the time to put into words the reasons for my faith in Jesus Christ. I must have a ready response describing what I believe and why I believe. Also, what am I doing in my life, how do I come across to others in a way that leaves them wondering and compelled to ask about the reason for my hope?

I find that I'm able to give a reason for the hope that I have. Jesus Christ loves me, He has forgiven me, He is my daily hope! But what if someone needs or wants to know more than that? I don't necessarily have a succinct answer prepared to describe exactly why I believe and what I believe. What I have in my brain is more a jumbled mass of decades of Sunday School lessons,sermons, and Bible reading that I've never taken time to put into a coherent message to share with others.

Ephesians 6:19-20 "Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel... Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."

It is time for me to take specific, determined action and put into words my belief in Jesus Christ... what I believe and why. I need to look up and memorize Bible passages that will help me share my faith. This is my goal for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment