Saturday, March 12, 2011

Keeping up with the Joneses

Today I was thinking about the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses."  I am not at all interested in keeping up with the Joneses.  I don't worry about social status, material wealth, whether or not I'm wearing the right clothes or driving the right car.  These things just aren't important in life.  But today I realized that I do worry about "keeping up with the Einsteins" so to speak.  Not for myself exactly (my days of academic excellence are in the past!), but where my kids are concerned I tend to focus on their academic pursuits and successes.  Gaining knowledge, gaining skills, how they compare to others their age...

These things are important in life to some extent.  The knowledge and skills that is, not the comparisons to others!  We can use our education and skills to help make our world a better place.  But I need to be careful not to focus on the acquisition of knowledge.   My kids and I don't need to keep up with the Joneses or the Einsteins of this world.  We just need to run after Jesus and do our best to keep up with Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment