Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happy Birthday Arik!

Four years ago, my water broke in the afternoon of July 3rd.  We called the hospital and they told me to come in right away.  I was not happy about being asked to spend most of my time in labor at the hospital.  But we listened to their advice and headed to the hospital.


Arik was three weeks early.  My husband Joel said I was not allowed to give birth on the 3rd; he said the 4th would be a much better birthday for Arik.  Of course I listened to my husband's advice and honored his request!  Arik was born around 5:00 am on the morning of July 4th.  He came out with the umbilical cord wrapped twice around his neck.  Everyone sprang into action, but it turned out that he was just fine.  He weighed 7 pounds and 2 ounces.


Right away, Arik had an opinion about everything.  He was very angry that the nurse put a band on his arm, and even more angry that he didn't know how take it off or how to reach what he wanted. 

 

He would scream every time we put him in his car seat or a baby carrier, and when I attempted to breast feed him.  That little guy got breast milk solely from a bottle for 10 1/2 months.  He refused to drink his bottle unless he was held in my left arm.  He would often only eat for me.  He would only sleep at night if we were holding him.  He would throw a fit if his clothes and blankets were not super soft and completely dry.


He decided at 5 months that he wanted to crawl in order to keep up with Anna and her friends.  He was determined and did not give up his attempts until he figured out how to crawl at 6 months old.  He started crawling at warp speed and hasn't slowed down yet. 


I don't know how many times each day we remind him to slow down so he won't hurt himself.  He earned the nickname Spiderman at about 8 months old, when I found him clinging to the backrest of the couch and walking along it.  He loved to climb stairs, climb on top of the table, run everywhere and climb everything.  Arik loves to listen as I read to him; he is often turning somersaults on the couch beside me as I read, or falling off the end.  He pops back up and says, "I didn't get hurt too bad!"


Arik continues to prefer all his clothes to be super soft.  He sleeps surrounded by fleece blankets.  He says his flannel sheets are "too itchy."  Arik is a very thoughtful, enthusiastic, and charming little boy.  He loves to be around people and have a conversation with anyone who will take the time to talk with him.  He loves giving and receiving hugs.  Arik likes to figure out how things work.  He turns his bike upside down to study the gears.  He uses a screw driver to open up all his toys and see how they are put together.  He loves math, history, and science.  In September of this year, Arik prayed and asked Jesus to be the Lord of his life.  What a wonderful day!


Happy Birthday Arik!  I am so glad that you are my son!

No comments:

Post a Comment