Saturday, May 7, 2011

Memories

Stories of how couples met and started dating are often so fun to hear.  Thought I'd share a bit of my own story with you today.

Seven and a half years ago (from yesterday), my husband and I went on our first date.  Seven and one quarter years ago (from yesterday), we got married.  It didn't take us long to figure out we'd both found the person we wanted to spend the rest of our life with.


Joel and I went to the same high school.  We were in the same graduating class.  We worked at the same grocery store.  He knew who I was; I knew who he was.  But we were both very shy and I don't know that we ever talked to each other more than saying hi or communicating briefly for the sake of our job!  I was particularly nervous about talking to him because he was "older" than me.  8 whole months older.

We graduated from high school.  Joel spent 5 years in the Marines.  I spent 5 years going to college, getting married, being miserable, and eventually getting divorced (a story for another day perhaps).

We were both living near our home town once again.  I went out to a restaurant with my roommate and her grandmother.  Joel was at the restaurant, taking his mom out for Mother's Day.  And we actually got up the courage to say hello and chat a little bit!  We said goodbye, but I kept thinking about him and he kept thinking about me.

A couple months later, Joel saw my roommate and asked her to give me his phone number.  I wanted to call, but didn't want to be the one to initiate (that, and I was still quite shy).  A few more months passed and my roommate asked me if I minded if she called him.  She gave him a call and he said he was busy the night she wanted to go out, but asked her if I would be available sometime.  (So, to my lovely roommate, I thank you for your instrumental role in getting Joel and I together!)

Joel and I went on our first date after my sign language class on November 6, 2003.  In typical Shauna style, I had a raging migraine and could barely think or see straight.  But no way was I going to let that keep me from spending those hours with Joel.  After that, we just kept on seeing each other.  I'm not sure exactly when plans for marriage entered our conversations.  With just 3 months from our first date until our wedding day, it obviously didn't take too long!


We decided on a Sunday that we were going to elope on Friday.  We bought our rings on Tuesday.  On Thursday, I reminded Joel that he hadn't actually proposed yet and he better do it or I wouldn't be able to marry him the next day!  We were married beside the Willamette River in Salem, Oregon, between showers of rain.  I couldn't have made a better choice.  Thank you, Joel, for 7 1/2 wonderful years!

No comments:

Post a Comment