Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Things they need to know

The kids and I planted the second half of the garden today.  We planted broccoli, kale, cabbage, brussel sprouts, peas, onions, and bok choy.  My daughter and I both came in from outside with terrible headaches due to allergies.  It was time to get clean and wash away the pollen.  After getting the kids clean and dressed, I settled them in with a snack and a video so I could shower.  As always, I said to them, "Never open the door when I am not with you.  No matter who is there, keep the door closed and locked."  "Okay, Mommy."  I thought it might be good to check their understanding.  "What if it is President Obama at the door?  Should you open the door for him?"  "Umm.... I think we should."  "No, don't open the door for anyone!  Not even the president.  If you think it is someone I would want to let in, just come and get me."  I think we need to review this a few more times!

This conversation made me think.  What other things do I need to make sure my kids know and understand?  Do they know what to do in an emergency?  Do they remember how to call 911?  Do they remember what I told them to do if they ever get lost or separated from me?  Do they know to tell me right away if anyone ever tries to hurt them?  What other things do they need to know? 

Do they know how much I love them?  That nothing can change that love.  Have I taken the time today to remind them how much they are loved?  Do they know how much Jesus loves them?  Have I taken the time to pray with them and read the Bible to them today?  I can't teach them everything, but I better not forget the most important things.

No comments:

Post a Comment