Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thoughts on self-worth

Today, I did some much needed cleaning.  Stuff that really needed to be done about 2 weeks ago.  Chores that I've been avoiding while I happily bake, read, work in the yard, and teach my kids.  Since I cleaned the bathrooms and the floors today, I really feel much better about myself.  And that is kind of sad.  Why do I feel better about myself if my house is clean, um, cleaner (and degrade myself if it isn't)?  Why do I evaluate my self-worth by what I have accomplished?

I don't base my opinion of my husband or my kids on what they have or have not accomplished.  My opinions of my friends don't change based on whether their houses are clean or dirty when I go to visit.  I just love them because of who they are.  So, why do I do it to myself?

Do you have a tendency to determine your self-worth based on your accomplishments?  Stop it!  You are amazing just because you are you!  Messy house?  That is okay.  Besides, it will help me feel better about mine... 

I don't plan to stop cleaning my house, but I sure don't want something so meaningless to impact how I think about myself.  I'm going to try to focus on what I like about myself.  Real qualities that come from the heart.  Care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment