Thursday, December 15, 2011

Fleeting thought

I was in the kitchen, greasing a large glass pan with butter, thinking to myself, "Hmm, a little too much butter.  That can't be good for us."  You know what I was getting ready to put in the pan?  Fudge.  Yep, fudge.  And for a few fleeting seconds, I was worried about the teaspoon of butter that will keep it from sticking to the pan. Never mind the half cup of butter, or ridiculous quantities of sugar, that were already mixed into the fudge.  Sometimes my thoughts just don't make any sense.  Makes them more amusing I suppose.

On that note... sugar is not good for us.  I know it.  But I keep eating it.  Why do I do that?  I'm going to share a recipe with you.  Whatever you do, don't make it!  Don't eat fudge; it is very bad for you!  Go eat some vegetables instead.

Million Dollar Fudge

Combine and bring to a boil:

4 1/2 cups sugar
1 12 oz can of evaporated milk
1 pinch of salt

Boil for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and add:

1 7 oz jar of marshmallow creme
1 8 oz bar Hershey milk chocolate (I used two 4 oz bars)
1 12 oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup of butter
2 cups of nuts, if desired (chopped almonds are good)

Stir until everything is completely melted and mixed together.  Spread mixture in a greased pan (9x13 inch works well).  Cool the fudge in the refrigerator.

There you go.  But don't make this recipe, and certainly don't eat it or feed it to anyone you love.  If you do make this fudge, please be sure to watch how much butter you use while greasing the pan.  I wouldn't want you to make it any less healthy, you know.

On a more serious note, at the beginning of 2012 I will begin my second annual "No Sugar January." Hopefully it will extend into February as well.  Care to join me?  It is a great post-holiday detox.

No comments:

Post a Comment