Saturday, August 14, 2010

A world away

Traveling to the Democratic Republic of Congo presented me with some challenges.  I knew God wanted me to go and I was very excited by the opportunity to go.  I didn't know how I was going to afford the trip, or have funds to help out Kaziba Orphanage... But God took care of that.  I got sick from both rounds of immunizations and was really sick on the way home and for a few days after...  But God took care of that.  Thinking about the horrible things the people of Congo face on a daily basis kept making me cry and I was worried that I would cry during my whole time with the kids at the orphanage... But God took care of that.  Congo continues to be a very dangerous place to go and I was kind of scared about my physical safety and health... But God took care of that.  I could go on, but I'm guessing you get the idea.

Being so far away from my kids was the hardest thing I had to face.  Would they be okay without me for two whole weeks?  Would I be okay without them?  Would they think they were somehow less important to me because I was leaving them in order to go and show love to other kids?  What would their lives be like if something happened to me while I was in Congo?  Like I said, Congo isn't exactly the safest travel destination in the world.  Let's just say I had a lot of fears about traveling so far from my precious and beloved babies...

But God took care of that!  My kids did great without me.  Yes, they missed me, but they had lots of fun with Joel (dad) and with Grandma, Grammie, and cousin Haleigh.  I didn't die after all, so I got to come back to them!  There were a few nights when I cried myself to sleep because I missed Joel and my kids so much, but all in all I was okay too.  And they didn't think they were less important to me.  Instead they learned a little bit about what it means to care for others in the world, what it means to share and do without some things (mom, in this case), and a tiny glimpse of the blessings we enjoy here in the United States compared to other places in the world.  They are even making plans for their futures that include mission trips and adoption!

My sweet kids,  "Baby Oliver" and "Tabby Cat" (ages 3 and 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment