Sunday, August 21, 2011

Dictionary in hand

I'm reading, with a dictionary nearby.  I had mentioned in this post that I was hoping to start reading some classic literature.  When I stopped to think about it, I was quite amazed to realize just how few classic books I've read.  I've always loved reading.  But quite often I read pretty mindless books as a method of relaxation.  Or parenting books with the hope of finding some miraculous bit of wisdom.

It seems I had a mental block regarding "classic" literature.  Maybe it had something to do with Cliffsnotes?  Obviously, if you need a book to explain a book, it must be pretty boring or challenging to read, right?  That mental block is now gone.

The first book I chose in my new venture was Uncle Tom's Cabin.  No dictionary was needed.  It was interesting to read, heartbreaking, and inspiring.  I am now reading Pride and Prejudice.  I have benefited from the use of my dictionary for finding the definitions of words like filial, asperity, and obsequiousness.  But for the most part, it is simple to understand and a very amusing read.  Both are great books that I highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment