Monday, May 17, 2010

Governing Authorities

Romans 13: 1-2   Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities.  For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.  Therefore, whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.

Wow!  Do you have a hard time wrapping your brain around that one?  I sure do.  The authority that exists is established by God.  Now, I must admit that I really don't trust the vast majority of government leaders.  But I do trust God.  Some of the world's leaders, past and present, are just plain awful.  They were put into place by God?  Yes, that is exactly what this passage says.  I am supposed to obey the governing authorities, unless of course the laws go against a command given by God.  He is the ultimate King.

So what do we do when those in leadership aren't acting according to God's will?  Speak of them with respect.  Pray for them and for the choices they make.  Do you have other ideas or thoughts on this topic?  I'd love to hear them!  The following is just one of many verses I looked up regarding prayer.

Philippians 4: 4-7   Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again:  Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment